Eric Ries and Steve Blank, the pioneers of the methodologies to create a startup say that startups are not enterprises. Start-up means among others “taking off quickly and optimally.” Eric Ries, the inventor of the method of Lean Start-up, was inspired by the “Lean Manufacturing”, a production system launched by Toyota. He suggests entrepreneurs to appropriate it for more efficiency.
Unlike a traditional business, start-up is only an embryo in gestation. It is “an experimental space” to feed with the right ingredients to develop and survive. As in a laboratory, the startup is testing different formulas; often it falls down but sometimes ends up successfully.
Launching a small business, a project in a technology company or in a bigger business can be called startup.
The concept :
- Experimenting rather than planning,
- Gathering customer information rather than imagining his needs,
- Producing an evolutionary design rather that a plan set in stone.
The aim is to force an early failure, if it is to occur.
Assuming that there is no perfect business plan, the challenge is to create without losing time and taking the least possible risks.
What are the main ingredients of the Lean Start-up method?
The MVP (Minimum Viable Product), is a minimalist product that you can place in the hands of potential users in order to test their interest. Steve Blank’s customer development methodology is based on deeply understanding the needs and demands of the customers.
The pivot, which means reviewing once approach without changing lenses. That is tweaking your product until you properly address the customer requirements. As a chess player, you have several strategies to achieve your goals which you can change when getting stuck.
How to acquire the startup mindset?
- Start in an area you know well,
- Have a clear vision of what you want to reach,
- Accept the idea of failing, the startup does not like perfectionism,
- Proceed with the client, only he holds the keys of the product value,
- Keep a permanent agile foot, nothing is stagnating, start-up is movement,
- Develop your idea with several people, loneliness kills the ability to move efficiently ,
- Practice the pivot, persevere but learn to give up at the right moment.